December 14, 2006

Another one so soon....























Now no one pass out but I decided not to wait 30 days before I posted again. I usually don't know about what I will write about until I type the first few sentences but hey if we are luckily it will make sense and have some humor to it. So let's get you up to date with everything that has happened since my last post. I made a whirlwind trip to Ohio. I had the wonderful opportunity to fly to Ohio for a few days to see my dad. He continues to decline and the most visible signs are his declining speech and his loss of hearing. The most startling difference is his dramatic weight loss. He has lost almost 30 pounds by my guess since I has lost saw him almost 6 weeks before. His appetite is not good and he takes a lot medication just to keep him from having seizures. My brothers and sister are doing an amazing job of keeping me informed of his condition and to them I say thank you. There is no time table for when everything will happen but we are thankful for every day he is still here.

On a happier note while I was home I got to spend some time in the evening with my family. Most notably I got to spend a quality evening with my cousins Marsha, Keever, Kelley and Andrea. We sat up and talked and ate some of the Christmas cookies they made until after 12:30 in the morning. I got to see Andrea and Jon's wedding DVD and it made me feel like I was there. This is normally where I would say something sappy about how much I wish we could have been at the wedding... but sadly based on my conversation with Andrea there is a good chance that she will not have the time to read that heart felt sentiment. Andrea is faced with the demands of.......well I am really not sure what she does all night but she sure is busy. Andrea is just so busy doing.....well she never really said what she is busy doing but I am sure it is very important. After all I am the cousin who brings so much joy to her life when she thinks about all of the great times we had together, if she had the time she would surely take a moment and say...well....something....anything. But Andrea you keep on doing.....well you know what it is that keeps you from commenting and remember my blog is here right where it has always been. Don't feel guilty as you are(insert important event or project that is taking up all your time)....that I make Kristena sit at the computer all day constantly refreshing the comments page hoping...praying that you will post. The doctors says once you comment on my blog, the crooked finger she is getting will most likely heal itself but should she ever lose her voice we may never be able to tell what she wants. I hope the other new mom's in the maternity ward won't make fun of her : (

It was great to get to catch up with them and during a very tough weekend I got to just laugh and make jokes. It was like time had stopped and for a second it felt like old times and we were all kids again hanging out at Marsha's house drinking the best sweet tea on the planet. No one loves Christmas like Marsha and no one decorates for the holidays like she does. Everything was so pretty that it almost made the single digit weather worth it(but it sure was cold). The feeling was carried over when I returned back to my grandparents and my grandma and I sat up until 2:00 in the morning talking. I still had a buzz from the sweet tea so I am glad she wanted to talk or I would have had to run circles in the living room until I fell over. So thanks grandma and grandpa for letting me stay there and a special thanks to my mom who for Christmas bought me my ticket and then picked me up at the airport, drove me to Marion and then took me back to the airport on Sunday morning at 4:50 in the morning. That was after she and I watched the Gaither Vocal Band until midnight and then we talked for another hour and then we decided we better go to bed. I told her we could stay up all night for all I cared because I don't mind being the large man on the airplane snoring with my mouth hanging wide open. Sure keeps people out of your row. If I am really in a non-social mood I will forget to put on my deodorant and refuse to turn the cooling vents on until I get a real solid sweat going then I turn them on to blow the stink around. Kristena says its gross but it makes sure I get the arm rest.

While I was gone Kristena decided that it would fun for her and the kids to make a gingerbread train. I personally thought she had lost her mind but my wife is nothing if not determined. She tells me that they were perfect angels during the process. We never did eat the whole thing but
as you can tell from the pictures the kids had a blast. Actually Kaitlyn took it very seriously and as you might guess Tyler was just interested on how to get the icing out of the tube and into his mouth. It sure was great to see them when I got home. Kristena is never afraid to try new things and loves to make things for people. This year before I left on my trip she made a package of homemade goodies for family. By the time I left Ohio most of them were eaten.(especially the cake balls...I love them cake balls) When I came back she made another huge batch of cookies and other homemade goodies for her family and then sent all of her leftovers in for my 50 staff members. By the end of the day the had all but licked the containers clean. My staff is like a group of starving animals. They see someone walk in with food and then they draw straws and send in a scout to find out what it is and if it is for everybody. Sometimes our attorney's send in food for everyone so I know if there is something I want I pick through it and take it before they know it is there. If not they will have mauled it before I can even tell what it was.

Well I am not sure if I will post before Christmas but first let me tell you that the one thing I have already gotten for Christmas is a great family. My wife and kids make the holidays better than I could ever imagine. As my dad gets sicker and sicker it makes you consider what's important and Kim, Tom and I decided that every day is important and that we should live for today and always be sure those who we love know how much we care. So with that Merry Christmas from us where it is Cloudy and 75.(I know a little chilly but we are finding a way to stay warm) But they promise the sun will be back out tomorrow and we will have to bust the shorts out! So to those of you up north we will pray the winter is mild and the warmth of our love for you will keep you warm while you shiver and freeze and bundle up before you go to get your mail : )

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to be the first one to comment but I will because you make me laogh and cry , all three of you kids. I love you like my own. I was glad I was still up that night also, as you checked to see what might be making the outside light come on.I always enjoyed setting up with your Mom when she come home from whatever and just sharing the good times.We enjoyed having you here. We pray that your Dad's days he has left will be good days for him. Love, Grandma

Anonymous said...

O yes, kristena is so gifted. She makes all sorts of things. and a lot of stuff she gets with coupons you gige to the needy. May God Bless you. We loved the pictures. Tyler does like the Iceing. He's a sweet one. We Love both the childern so much. Take care and keep writting. Love, Grandma

Anonymous said...

So here I sit at 12:25 in the morning laughing and coughing. You do have a warped sense of humor. I enjoyed the little time I had to visit and watch the Gaithers something we both enjoy. Thanks to you I now have spent more money buying a DVD player. I only needed a reason. So I am putting bow on it for Christmas with a card wishing me the best for Christmas. I may even put in there what a special mother I have been through the years. I will have it hanging on the fireplace, feel free to sign it. Well, glad you made it home and security let you pass with the bulging suitcases. just don't wear the white hooded sweatshirt when i pulled up i thought you looked a bit like a bigger version of the unibomber. Enjoy the hot and sweaty temperatures headed your way. Wear sunscreen, use lip balm, and wear a hat. I have been practicing that. You can use it with your kids.

Love you
mom

PS next time Kristena decides to send me something sweet we are not opening it up until we get to my house so I can check it out and remove my favorites.

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh. The andrea thing was hillarious. I'll have to give her a nudge to read so she doesn't miss it. I enjoyed our visit too. It was fun. Hope you have a wonderful holiday! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

What a fun visit we had, just wish it could of started a little earlier in the evening. It was our bedtime when you arrived and I am not sure what was said after 10:30. My mind kinda shuts down after that! :) But we sure enjoyed laughing and catching up! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and we will be praying for you all as the little one arrives!! Can't wait to see pictures!!
Love ya,
Marsha

Kim said...

I could have went without knowing that you had a good time at Marsha's since I didn't get to go. I guess I could have left Josh in the truck while we visited but it was a bit cold that night and well...with no heat...and that whole FINE LINE between letting him sleep and child abuse, I opted for getting him home as fast as possible and cranking the heat up in the house so that we could all thaw out from our ride home. By the way the heater in the truck started working when Wayne drove it. He said it started working after he slammed the passenger door shut...IF only I had thought of that...I would have stood there and slammed the door until it started. Why didn't I think of that! Anyway...it was great having you home and I am so glad that you got to see dad...he really wanted to see you. Love You! Your sis

Anonymous said...

Alright, where is the outline version...you PROMISED me an outline! Since you are so curious, I will tell you what has me so busy. Friday night I had a Christmas party to attend plus a Martina McBride concert to go to. Saturday I had to prepare for my dinner party that I was having on Sunday evening, plus squeeze a trip to Marion in for a wedding. Sunday, I went to church and then cooked all afternoon for my party at 6:00. I finished the dishes at 10:00 and then fell into bed. Now, this week I have three nights of board meetings for work and then I head to Marion on Thursday evening for the Christmas weekend. Now, you may say that these are special circumstances, however this schedule is really not out of the ordinary for me. Do I hear a boo hoo in the background??? Now, I really have to run, for fear my boss will walk up behind me and find me blogging! :) In all seriousness, I love you and I had a great time visiting...even though I was harassed! :)

Andrea